File for guardianship of a minor

capeside Jan 10, 2008 Legal
Learn how to file for guardianship of a minor child.
You will need to locate the Probate and family Court in your County. The minor child's needs to have live in that county 6 months for jurisdiction.

You will need to know the name and date of birth of the minor child.  Along with the name, address, and date of birth of the minor child's parents.

Go to the Probate and Family Court and pick up the needed paperwork to file for guardianship. Most courts will mail you this paperwork in the mail. You will need to complete this paperwork and return it to the court. Yiou will need to provide them with your name and DOB, along with those of the minor child, their parents and any parties living in your home.

Once you file your paperwork with the court they will give you a court date and you will have to give notice to the biological parents or current guardians by mail regarding this date.

When you arrive at the court the date of the hearing the court will ask what relation you are to the child. The will call the local Child Services to see if there have been any cases of abuse on the child and by whom. They will also check out the person apllying to be the guardian to make sure they are safe. The will also run a criminal record check on all parties. Once this backgroung check is done you will head into court and the Judge will determine if you can become the child's guardian. By law a parent has to be proven unfit to remove their children if they contest.
What did you think of this tutorial?
+ 2
4 CommentsAdd a Comment
Browser on Jan 12, 2008
Very Helpful
capeside on Jan 12, 2008
Thanks again
rainmaker1905 on Jan 11, 2008
I thought it was quite informative and well thought out.
capeside on Jan 12, 2008
Thank you I deal with this issue daily..
  • Views : 852
  • Comments : 4
  • Rating : + 2
  • Last Updated : Jan 10, 2008